After making this super easy bread recipe and eating it for a few nights with dinner, we still had a whole extra loaf that needed to be used up. I didn’t want it to go to waste and I didn’t want to just keep eating it as a side with butter (although I easily could have…by myself). I wanted my bread to be the star of the show!
So one night last week, I was laying in bed trying to fall asleep, and the lightbulb went off. I opened my eyes and smiled. “I KNOW WHAT TO MAKE FOR DINNER!” I said into the darkness. Andrew shot up, “What!?” “I know how I can use up the Captain’s bread!” I exclaimed triumphantly. “Al, I thought something had happened. I was almost asleep!” We both cracked up laughing. “Just wait until you try this recipe! You’re going to LOVE it,” I said. “I’m going to sleep. No more talking,” he said.
Just the night before, we had grilled flank steak (a big 1.5 pounder from BJ’s) and served it over salads. But being only two people, half the steak went untouched. I decided to use up all of my leftovers in one go, and turn them into a kick-butt broiled steak sandwich! Bon Apetit!
This recipe yields two large sandwiches and is the perfect way to use up last night's leftovers!
- 1 Loaf French Bread (I used Captain's Bread)
- Mozerella Cheese (Fresh, shredded, sliced- it all works!)
- Grilled Flank Steak (Enough for two people)
- Tomatoes (I used grape, for the sweetness)
- Balsamic Vinegar
- Warm loaf of bread in the oven for about 10 minutes at 325F.
- Remove warmed bread from oven, slice in half lengthwise, then cut into two equal sandwiches.
- Set oven to broil.
- While oven is heating up, butter both sides of the bread. Sprinkle top side of bread with mozzarella cheese, and lay the grilled flank steak on the bottom side.
- Set the bread, open faced underneath the broiler for 3-5 minutes. Make sure to check this often! There is a fine line between perfect and burned (and it takes less than a minute).
- Top steak side of sandwich with tomatoes, arugula, a sprinkle of salt and pepper and a drizzle of good (read: thick and sweet) balsamic vinegar.
- Press top of bread down onto the sandwich and enjoy!